Thursday, April 10, 2014

NV Santiago Station Devil's Back Sauvignon Blanc, Valle Central, Chile

I need to add a new label - a $5 and under one! Never in a million years did I think I would be rating wines this low on the price point scale! Yet, here I am.

In my never-ending search for knowledge of all things wine, not to mention that I recently discovered Total Wine & More, I decided to find out what price has got to do with wine enjoyment.

What's price got to do with it, got to do with it? Are you humming along yet? Oh, nevermind...

So I ordered myself a case of el-cheapo wines, figuring that if nothing more, I would have a nice supply to cook with.

I paid $2.99 for this bottle. OMG, I can't believe I just typed that! Yes, really. For a 750 ml bottle.

Poured some into my glass, and the first thing I notice is the body - even before the color. It stuck to the glass rather nicely, so already I'm thinking I'm going to give this wine a chance. The color was straw, and the nose was definitely citrus - my husband swears grapefruit. The taste was...well, not incredibly deep or interesting, but not unpleasant by any means. In fact, I would sip this nicely chilled in the summer! Fruity, mineral-y, quite nice, really. The acidity mostly kicked in at the end, so it would probably work really well with a light meal that features citrus-y ingredients.

I'd give this 3 out of 5 stars, and for $2.99 - I mean, really, you can't go wrong! Cook with it, yes, but steal a glass now and then, and no worries about pouring a glass for your guests!

Next up - another under $5 bottle. I've got 10 of them to go through, so let's see what else is out there!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go ahead - wine away!